What New Homebuyers Really Want
by Kathy East
- Energy Efficiency: An Energy Star rating of the whole home appeals to your prospective buyers' desire to maximize savings (9 out of 10 would prefer a reduction in their bills over homes without these features that cost less) AND reduce their carbon footprint.
- Organization and Storage: Who doesn't want help in this area. This is especially critical for Boomers and Seniors, who are downsizing when moving. Providing options for storing treasures will allow your buyers to keep what matters most to them in the move.
- Think Outdoors: Exterior lighting, a patio and front porch all rated as tops among buyers for outdoor features. Think of the whole house, inside and out, as potential areas for entertaining. A large living room area is nice, but a quaint outdoor sitting area will capture the minds and hearts of your prospects.
How can you apply these insights to your community marketing? Click here for Kathy's INSIGHTS INTO ACTION with examples of builders and communities who did this well.
What New Homebuyers Don't Want
by Todd Harff
- Elevators: 70% of buyers would be unlikely to buy a home with this feature. My recommendation: invest your dollars in single level living. According to the NAHB survey, 57% of respondents preferred this floorplan type (growing in preference among older adults).
- Golf Courses: Focus keeping natural wooded areas and incorporate walking/jogging trails and outdoor recreation features as opposed to golf courses to maximize community appeal.
- Wine Cooler: While entertaining is important to homebuyers, a wine cooler in the kitchen isn't. Instead, be sure to incorporate high quality appliances within your kitchens (62% would rather have a smaller house with high quality products than a bigger home with fewer).
Click here for Todd's INSIGHTS INTO ACTION for lessons learned and ideas you can use to give your buyers what they want.
An integrated marketing program can help you highlight your community's best features and stand out in the market. Visit our website for new case studies that demonstrate how our agency has been creating results for builders and developers of 50+ housing.